Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pulling Out of the Driveway


I was asked the other day by a neighbor..."how on earth do you get all of those boys out of the house and to your destination every day - is it hard?"....so I figured this was as good a place as any to start by new blog!
The answer to the question is simple....as long as I want or need to get to my destination more than I mind the trauma of dressing, feeding, and packing for three little men...then I just go through the steps needed - without too much thought - and head for the door.
Ben eats Cereal, Kyle Eats a waffel, Will only drinks in the morning so I mix a yogurt drink with his milk and he is set to go! Ben dresses himself if I lay it all out right...Kyle does not like ANYTHING I set out for him so I threaten him within an inch of his life every morning to JUST GET DRESSED! Will likes to run from me as soon as he sees a diaper on the table...so I run and chase...get one piece of clothing on...and then run and chase again untill we are both too tired to go on. They I finish the job while he lays on the ground and giggles and tries to eat his feet!
Once we are all dressed then we think about what we need to take with us. Kyle needs his pink Blankie, Will needs a green bear, They all need a sippy cup and we all need shoes. I pack the necessary "lovey" items in a bag and then take drink orders. Ben usually wants Milk, Kyle would like Chocolate milk and at this point I thank God that Will does not talk and therefore will drink whatever I give him!
I pack the drinks and then recheck the bag to make sure no child has taken the "lovey" items from the bag. If so...then I do another search and rescue mission for green bears and pink blankets.
Then come the shoes...that we can never find. Ben has a true preference for what shoes he wears so we line them up on the coffee table and begin trying them on untill he is satisfied. Kyle, again, just complains about whatever pair I put on him so I hold him down and shove whatever I can find on his barney rubble foot! Will - RUNS FROM ME FOR THIS PART TOO! So we chase and giggle until his shoes are on his foot!
Now it is seemingly time to leave the house. We are ready! Heading for the door! And then I hear "But mommy, I can't find my nuber 36 car and I NEED it ."....so we begin to look for whatever toy Ben "NEEDS" to take with him. Will is usually trying to escape at this point so I task KYle with holding the door shut so Will can't get out till I find the toy we need.
Found it! now it is really time to leave...we head for the car...everyone in...seat belts hooked! And alas I realize...I can't find the keys OR MY CELL PHONE! So with everyone tucked away nicely in the car I head back into the silent house to find my necessary items. Then I realize...the dog has not food? So I take care of Cali, locate my things and head back to the car!
I sit down, close the garage door and hear "Mom...my drink is all gone can I have some more!?". And this is when I put the car in reverse, turn on a movie and just drive! :)
We do this every day and I never even though about it before until I was asked the question. NOw that I have it in writing I kind of feel like a need a medal every day that I pull out of the driveway! ha ha ha ha.
And in the end of the day! We love to keep on the go and I love that we have a system that is comical and exausting and trying and fun...and somehow - each and every day - we pull out of this darn driveway and have a super time! :)

4 comments:

oofie goofie said...

I'm exhausted just reading about it! I remember those days! Leaving home is still exhausting,but not quite as bad (mine are 4, 7 and 8)

BTW - my ringtone is "Walk on the Ocean", by Toad :)

dollydimples said...

I am soooooooo glad you have become a blogger :) I only have two, but can relate! YAY for Renee!

dollydimples said...

Ok...so I dont know why I cannot post for your "ben" blog...but nevertheless. I LOVED reading it. It is quite odd though...my "draft" I was talking about yesterday was "Through the eys of Benjamin" So, we were on the same wavelength, I guess. Anyway, it was much of the same things...what Benjamin loves, who he is. Anyway, TO THE BENJAMINS! We love them so!!!

Dianne said...

What a great idea! Since we're so far away, it makes me feel like we're a part of your daily routine! Love it. And love to you all.