Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The shower line....

So off we go - me and my crazy kids - to visit my family in Pennsylvania. It will be a long weekend of eating, talking, eating, laughing, eating, watching the kids play, eating and celebrating the very rare occasion where my whole family is in one place for consecutive days!!




We leave on Thursday morning. With a turtle on top of the car, clothes to span the seasons (because you just never know what you are going to get in the mountains of Pennsylvaina), bikes to ride, snacks to eat...and for sure a ton of movies and snacks to calm the troops as we spend our entire day in the car awaiting our fun!



DuBois, PA.? A vacation spot for many. Many people who want NOTHING to do but sit! I watched the summer friends come and go each year. The doctors and lawyers that lived their summers by the lake. I always wondered where they went at the end of each season? Now I know - OUT OF DUBOIS! To a place where there was MORE THAN NOTHING TO DO!



I looked forward to leaving my little town each and every day of my life there. I longed for a mall, a beach, a museum, concerts, pubs, dance clubs, universities, etc. etc. As soon as I turned 18, I headed for the hills! Most days I love that I have experienced the world...and on a few days, I think about how simple life in DuBois would be. No traffic, only a few cell phone towers, not much crime, one park where everyone in town plays, bowling as the highlight of my week....hmmm....there are a few days that life in DuBois is missed!!! :)



But for now...I just look forward to my yearly visit. To the town of 7 thousand people, a few stop lights, the hitching post as the only night life, and even the new mall that has an old Navy in it? Yeah...no kidding! nahhh....the real reason I look forward to DuBois is the trees and the mountains and the lack of trafic or hype...the slow paced central pennsylvania life that I had for so long and now remember fairly fondly - despite my desire to leave!



So...A big weekend awaits us. Mark (28) will be flying in from Washington State to help our celebration! Alyssa (23) will drive in from Harrisburg, Patrick (21) will drive from across town, Brian (33) will drive up on Friday from Chesapeake with his very dear friend Laura, Mike (33 and our all but adopted brother) and his wife will drive in on Saturday, Grandma and Pop Pop will arrive, Aunt Linda, Uncle Jack will also be there!



Now thank goodness mom and dad have a huge house. The good thing is...that they have a house with enough bedrooms to fit all of these guests...the bad thing is that there are only 2 bathrooms? Guess people 200 years ago didn't need to primp? But for now....we all will stand in the hall in towls and fight for our spot! Anything goes when you are at teh Carr house. There is not list that says who is next...you just have to be aggressing and have a plan!



My plan is often the only one that works every time. My kids wake me up at the crack of dawn - i sit them in front of the tV and get my HOT shower by 7am! No one is awake by then. Of course not...because at 2am, everyone still had a beer and everyone was still out on the poarch being loud and silly! (no neighbors is key in the Carr family!)



And for everyone else...sorry if you have cold water...but if you want to be the mommy for a whole day I will gladly take a cold shower at 2pm for a few extra hours of sleep!!! :)



WE will be celebrating dad's 60th birthday! Good thing we have events like this to bring everyone together! I don't look forward to 11 hours in the car with the kids? But we will make an adventure out of it..and probably extend our trip by at least two hours doing so...but in the end...we will have memories for all of us that will span our life! And I am greatful from the bottom of my heart to have such a wonderful family to anticipate!



Happy Memorial day to everyone reading this! And cheers!!

2 comments:

dollydimples said...

We will certainly miss our playmates...me included! The trip will be an adventure...it always is, isnt it? You dread it the night before. You almost wish you weren't going. Then, amazingly, in the middle of it at some point you say to yourself "this isn't sooo bad!" By the time you arrive, it is all worth it. Well, until you get half way through your vacation and think about the ride home :) Regardless, enjoy. Be safe and get back to us ASAP!

myregalmen said...

What a fun adventure that awaits you, for sure! And the second that you start to dread the car trip back, just think of the "Apple Dumplin' Gang" that will be standing in the street awaiting you with open arms, tonka & monster trucks, bubble machines and bikes to cheer you home to the "playgroup on the street"! We're your deployment welcome home party! :) We'll miss you!! Have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend!