Thursday, June 7, 2007

The end of an Era...


two years and two months ago, Ben, Kyle and I walked into Potts n Paints pottery shop in Great Bridge. Only to find out that it was closing? How sad. It had only been opened for 9 months and the owners just did not have a love of the hobby or of owning their own business.

I was 7 months pregnant with the little man that we now knows as Will! And somehow, even with a 1 and a two year old, I had this overwhelming feeling that running this shop was my calling!

And so I made the call to Steve - who was just getting ready to head away from home AGAIN. I said...I know you are leaving and I know you will think I am nuts, but I need a loan for a significant amount of money and I want to buy a Paint your Own pottery shop - THIS MONTH!


And the funny thing is...he didn't laugh at me and he didn't say Hell NO!....he said - "well...if you think it is something you want to do then call our financial guy and get it set up!"

So it began...my little group of three...and a hubby at sea...set out to run our own business!

And now...it is 2 years and 2 months later and that time has flown by in the blink of an eye. It has been hard, fun, rewarding, challenging, fun, and an all around SUPER experience. Our little pottery shop that was given no hope in the beginning is now a thriving part of Great Bridge culture! And it is time to pass the torch.

Our date to move is slated for the first quarter of 2008 and next month, with the help of myself and our current employees - another eager family will embark on the journeys of owning their own business. They have vowed to continue to grow our little "Paint Shop". (as Ben calls it!) and to keep the arts alive in Great Bridge.

I am sad to lose the store that has become my fourth child, but excited to have a new adventure with my family and to go where ever life takes me! Bitter Sweet in the end here and the change will be strange, but positive!

Good luck to our new owners! And best of luck to my little pottery shop! I can only hope that life throws another opportunity my way that has been as tremendous as owning Potts N Paints!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

What a wonderful business you've had. It really became a part of your "family". I admired you for taking it on and I loved watching it grow into the success it was, and is. I hope the next owners work as hard as you did and I'll be anxious to see it keep growing in the years to come! Congratulations on a great success!!

Dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.