Friday, March 13, 2009

five......

So let me start with a little background - or this will NOT be a cute story!! :)

When we first came home with Josh, he was VERY sensitive. If you looked at him wrong, or walked in his space.....took him into a room that he didn't want to go in....gave him food that was not perfect...(you get the picture)...he would Whine. And it was almost a cry...but not quite...eyes squinted shut - with a loud "EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" that seemed to go on forever.

At first we just let him whine it out. But at some point...it became quite annoying...so we started looking him in the eye and in a firm but kind voice - we would say "All done Joshee" And most often...he would open his eyes and just STOP. That quick! When we realized how fast we could make him stop by just simply saying "ALL DONE JOSHEE" it was just the tool we needed to stop the madness.

After this worked for a while, he realized that sometimes he just wanted to whine...and the "All done" did not ALWAYS work. So we started a new plan - plan B if you will....where we would count backwards from 5 (4, 3, 2.....1) and at one - he needed to sit on the time out chair if he was still "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" ing away.

Well it only took a few time of this chair till all we had to say was "5" and he just would stop as quickly as the "All done" used to work. And since this new plan, the whining has come to a minimum and is reserved mostly for days when we don't have time to nap, or we have not had our fill of food!

So the story goes....Josh and I were driving home from the YMCA today and he was very tired. Needed a cat nap as soon as we got in the door. His cold is running him down and I knew he was in a delicate mood. So he asked for his "Bah" (bear) and I didn't have it. And with that for an answer the whining started.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHH...Momma....EEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" And to that I said "All done"....and the response was just more EEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! So I say 5, 4, 3 ....nothing. Still whining. And so in a not so proud mother moment...I chose to do what every book says is WRONG with a capital W!! I Whined back at him! Yep....just as loud as he was whining at me.

And all of a sudden....he stopped whining and got a huge smile and said "Momma....AAALLLLLLL DONE!" And with that he burst out laughing! Well I couldn't stop whining now...it was too funny....so I kept it up.....and he stopped laughing...pointed his finger at me and said "Momma ........FIVE"! ha ha ha ha ha.....oh my...we both laughed the whole way home!! :)


Shelli joked that josh was going to be in preschool learning his numbers and when the class said "5" out loud he would run for a chair!! :) That may not be far from the truth!

5 comments:

Perduret said...

OK, as for the not so proud Mom moment, we've all been there. But, Renee, you may want to think about amending that title, just saying five... before getting into whole story gave me a bit of a freak out that there was a fifth Mongold on the way : )

shunter1019 said...

I love it! Having seen it first hand, I truly believe he thinks "five" is the english version of "STOP IT or you will go to time out"! He truly makes me crack up with this, but is just oh so dear and I didn't mind the whining AT ALL! LOVE HIM and all of you!

dandsratz said...

That is HILARIOUS!!!! Maybe we need to try that at our house!!!??? :) That sweet little boy sounds so adorable!!!!

sara said...

Oh, that is precious!! We should try it?? Heaven knows I would saying "5" a lot at our house :)

Heather said...

love it! I thought Lily was the only screamer in the group! Glad to learn we are not alone! I am impressed Josh too is verbalizing so well! It is amazing to see them blossom so!
-Heather
Lillian's mommy