Friday, May 15, 2009

A mix of a day......

On Monday of this week our little Josh woke up from his nap with a 105.7 fever? Yep....no other word but SUCK....seems to fit the situation! I tried not to panic and immediately after reading that crazy thermometer I start making the necessary phone calls while submerging Josh in a tub of cool water......

We called the pediatrician...they could not see us and then the surgeon was our second call and he said, "Get to the ER now!"

And so that is where we went....to the ER. We had quite a long day....and no planning really went into all the time that the non sick kids would sit idol in the ER as we waited. I really had NOTHING to keep them busy? I suppose that means I was not scared...more FRANTIC....and I just "did" with no real thoughts outside of moving us forward to get to the hospital!

(side note) After a rough week and two tries at meds because this terrible bacteria was resistant to the first med....we are feeling a bit better today. Still a fever...but it is 102.5 - MANAGEABLE....and we have high hopes that the next 48 hours takes care of this nasty infection that Josh contracted from his cath.

Anyway - as I am leaving for the ER, I realized that I had no cash on me and I knew that there may be snack machines or what not...so I better find a way to get Cash! Being the great mom that I am (I know you have all done this before...don't lie!!) I went straight to the Bank of Ben and Kyle Mongold. Who enevitably....ALWAYS...have more money than I do!

I told both Ben and Kyle to grab their wallets in case they wanted anything at the Hospital. They didn't really understand what I meant...but they were kind of frantic and scared too, so they did what I said...and off we went!

After an hour or so, the kids - of course - said they were so hungry and thirsty that they could not live another second in this world if they did not have substance....and so we went in search of a snack machine. We were able to find one very easily. I told them that they could pay for their own drink and snacks, and with that, they stood and studied their choices carefully and they mentally chose what they would be purchasing.

We did this before we put the money in, so that we could move quickly and avoid losing cash. Ben was up to bat first. He looked at the dollar amount on the soda machine and it said $1.50. He knew how much that was....and he said....."Mom...that is a lot of money for one soda. That is one dollar and two quarters?" And he stood there staring at me. (as if I could change the price for him based on his dire need and not a mere want of a soda!!) I told him, yes, that soda was expensive and so were snacks, but if he was really that hungry and thirsty, then he would just have to pay what a person pays, for the convenience of this machine. We had no other options.

Ben look at the machine and then down at his money....and he said, "Kyle...you go first."

In the end of this great realization period, they both decided to share a soda and forgo the snack and eat up the old crackers at the bottom of my diaper bag!!! ha ha ha.......hmmmm.....will this lesson stick! You should have seen them in the grocery store the other night. "Mom...can we get these chips....how much are they?" Asking all the right questions and truly feeling for me and for the amount of money that I need to spend to feed them. When we were leaving Walmart Ben said, "How much did you spend mom?" When I told him 280.00....I thought he was going to stop breathing!!! :)

And for now...my children have an appreciation for the cost of food and drink! Won't last long...but it was a great life lesson. The good part of our crazy day at the ER!! :)

Now...if they would just learn to appreciate the value of my time....and just how long it takes to clean the bathroom when they fail to lift the seat, aim, or wipe out the sink after washing black hands?!?!?! Time will tell!!!!

5 comments:

Bill and Midge said...

Nothing says a belated Happy Mother's Day like taking 4 little boys to the ER unplanned! WOW!!! You deserve a medal or something just for having survived! Hope Josh is on the mend soon.

Ellen said...

Oh no! Glad you all survived the experience and that Josh is feeling a bit better. I feel your pain on the 'failing to aim' issue ...

lyss23 said...

that is too cute...at least a lesson was learned even though there were no friends made ha ha ha :)

sara said...

Oh, unpreparedness is my middle name! Although, I was able to "plan" for Mya's lego-up-the-nose-ER-trip, since it wasn't an emergency! So sorry you spent the day in the ER, hope Joshy is doing better & the boys are learning something about $$! How cool is that??

Mandie said...

Hope Josh is feeling much better. We need to catch up on life after surgery soon. Everett had to have his cath reinserted a week after it came out. I am keeping Josh in my thoughts and prayers.

Mandie