Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Update on Little Will....


Will had his tonsils and Adenoids out last Friday morning. He was a trooper, but there was a complication from the anesthesia and he ended up with a large amount of fluid in his lungs. Guess I should know more about the "why" of it all, but I don't. I do know that this is a rare but possible side effect of anesthesia and it is on the waiver that you sign before any surgery.

His surgery was early in the Am and I watched all of the other out-patient "patients" leave and more come in...and we were still there? We were eventually able to come home that evening.

Will did stop breathing at one point just after surgery. His heart did not stop - so it could have been MUCH worse...the bells and whistles of his monitoring machines got the docs and nurses to our side very very quickly! They gave him a shot of steroids to help the lungs fill up and little by little his blood pressure began to rise. After about 6 hours, we were at a safe place again. Several breathing treatments and additional steroids helped to get him there.

I kind of wished they would have kept him, but there was also some peace in knowing that they felt he was ok to go home.

After a kind of rough 4 days, Will is finally out of bed and watching TV with Josh. He has a bit of color back! It feels so good to see him moving around! We will fight the impending pneumonia for the next couple of weeks with high doses of antibiotics and lots of fluids. If we can keep him away from bad germs and keep him coughing up this CRAP...I think the light at the end of the tunnel will show itself soon!! :)

I'll post another update soon and I am quite certain it will be all good news!! :)

As for the tonsils and adenoids? Well...can't even see any signs of the adenoid removal and tube placement. As for the area where his tonsils used to be....it hurts!! :) ha ha ha...poor guy....he can't really even talk? But this part we have conquered before with Ben and Kyle and so I know it is all worth it in the end!! :)

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh no! How scary! I'm glad things are beginning to look up for Master Will.

sara said...

Poor guy!! That must have been very scary for Momma..I am glad that Will is feeling a little better. I am sure he is loving the jello & ice cream? But misses being able to talk :)

shunter1019 said...

Poor Willamina!!! I wish I could be with you to help. Who would have thought that such a simple surgery could have had such complications. I had no idea this was a possibility. I am glad he is starting to feel a little better and please tell him that the Hunter crew loves him very much. We miss you Wil.

Erica said...

Oh Renee...I feel so out of the loop. I am so sorry...but so happy that rotten little adorable mess is just fine now! I LOVE THAT BOY!