Friday, March 19, 2010

Old enough to do the right thing...even when it is not pleasant!

Ben has reached an age where he holds responsibility in this world. He knows what is expected and that some expectations are not always "fun!". Old enough to do the right thing...even when it is not pleasant!...and most often...he will do what is expected without complaint! (but not all the time! h ah ha ha)

So we are at the soccer field last night for picture night. Kyle and will are getting their picture taken both individually and for the team picture. We had a 5:00 picture time, and it is now almost 5:45 and we are still in line. Lots of people, but a large open space at the field, so not too terrible. There is one little girl in front of Kyle and Will and then it is time for them to be up. Will is crazy and needs me to stand him still and Kyle....well...he needs me to threaten him so that he will smile. I need to be there for this to be worth my 70.00!

And just as Will is about to be up...Josh pulls down his pants and says, "mommy...I pee in grass?" I say no buddy, you have to hold it for one minute...and he says, (in his most mean voice), "I pee in grass or in my pants!" I guess that meant we did not have a minute to spare!

So I look at Ben and say, "Ben..please...take Josh to the potty for me and I owe you big time." And Ben, without complaint, takes Josh's hand and they head off for the bathroom.

Individual pictures are taken and now we have to line up for the team photo. 15 min has gone by and I scanning the crowd, but can't seem to see Josh and Ben. I am getting nervous, but I can't leave Kyle and Will? Another 5 min goes by and now we are finally up for our team photos. Still no Josh and Ben. Now I am anxious and I say to another mother, "Can you see Ben and Josh...maybe I am not looking well enough?" She scans the crowd and affirms....they are no where in sight.

So the guy snaps the photo and we are off and running. My assumption is that they went back to the car to wait. We run to to car...no Josh and Ben? Now I am about ready to throw up? I run from the parking lot, back to the bathroom area and I see a large line outside of the men's room. I politely ask one of the men, "Have you been waiting long?" He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Yeah...I guess?"

I go to the front of the line and knock on the door yelling, "Josh and Ben...are you in there?????" And just then the door opens and out come my little men. Now this is at least 20 min after I sent them and the bathrooms were mere feet from where the pictures were being taken. I look at Ben like, "WHAT THE HELL TOOK YOU SO LONG!!??" And he says, "Well...it was not pretty mom. Josh had to poop - A LOT." And he has this look of horror on his face.

He continues, "So I let him poop and then I tried to wipe, but it was gross and I got it all over his back. SO I used a lot of toilet paper and I didn't want to clog the toilet. So I asked him to get up so I could flush. And he did. And then I tried to wipe him more while he was standing but his cheeks were too close together. I got him back up on the potty to spread his cheeks and wipes some more. But I'm really not sure I got it all?"

Oh my...poor Ben. I ask the mom question..."Did you wash your hands?" And he said, "Yeah...of course I did...it was gross!"

Ben let me know that he was not sure he got it all but that he did the best he could! My poor Ben. He will Never have children now! :) ha ha ha. But how awesome that he didn't just run and get me. He knew he was in charge and he took care of it. Till the bitter end! I was so proud of him. Felt horrible...because I never wanted my kids to have to wipe each others bums...they are a bit close in age for that! But I am so happy that Ben took his responsibility to heart and did the right thing. And truly - he said it was gross...but he never complained!! :) What an interesting, but great mommy moment! :)

3 comments:

Ellen said...

This post made me laugh out loud ... which led me to have to explain to a colleague WHY I was laughing out loud ... which led to a very awkward moment of explanation. :) In any case, way to go, Ben!!

Naenay1012 said...

Oh I hope you rewarded him big for that one! :)

Heather Thompson said...

LOL! What a trooper Ben was!!!
My oldest wouldn't have been sick... he gags just thinking about it;)